Vegan Orange & Almond Cake
· 1 orange & 1 lemon
· 1 stick cinnamon
· 2 star anise
· 4 cloves
· 75ml aquafaba
· 200g golden caster sugar
· 75g self-raising flour
· 1 tsp baking powder
· 200g ground almonds
· Icing sugar to dust
· Toasted flaked almonds and orange slices to serve
1. Put the orange and lemon in a saucepan and just cover with water and add the cinnamon stick, star anise and cloves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour, checking the water doesn’t dry out and adding more if necessary. Leave the orange to cool then cut it in half, remove any pips and puree in a food processor.
2. In a large bowl beat the aqua faba until it is tripled in volume and forms soft peaks.
3. Add the sugar a spoon at a time and keep whisking until the mixture is firm and glossy.
4. Whisk in the orange puree.
5. Fold in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds.
For a large cake
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake at 160C for 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into the cake. If the cake looks like it is darkening too much cover it loosely in foil. Decorate with flaked almonds.
For individual cakes
Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cases. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer comes out clean.